Tuesday, May 26, 2009

10 Books A Day: #37

Rhymes and Verses: Collected Poems for Young People...Walter de la Mare...Henry Holt

The Marvelous Land of Oz...L. Frank Baum...Scholastic

Little Wizard Stories of Oz...L. Frank Baum...Bantam Skylark

The Tough Winter...Robert Lawson...Puffin/Troll

The Biggest Bear...Lynd Ward...Scholastic

Pippi Longstocking...Astrid Lindgren...Scholastic

The Peculiar Miss Pickett...Nancy R. Julian...Scholastic

The Mouse and the Motorcycle...Beverly Cleary...Xerox Publication Editions

Haunted Houses...Larry Kettlekamp...Xerox Publication Editions

The Story of Vampires...Thomas G. Aylesworth...Xerox Publication Editions


More grade school reads. Doing a little research I found out that Beverly Cleary was still alive; she was born in 1919! I was sorry to confirm that the great illustrations by Louis Darling were being replaced by more "up-to-date" artwork. Louis Darling (and his wife Lois) were also responsible for one of my Favorite Great Lost Books (since found), The Sea Serpents Around Us. The Peculiar Miss Pickett was part of the "Nanny Invasion" in the wake of Mary Poppins, but more for mid-century Americans; Miss Pickett is a babysitter, not a nanny or nurse. The Little Wizard Stories have only recently been reprinted.

Book Count: 449.

2 comments:

AlanDP said...

My Great Lost Book is one that I checked out from the library in fifth grade or so, called "The Hole in the Hill." I don't remember the author.

I have looked for it online, and I've found some places that list books by that title, but they list no plot description and since I can't remember the author, I don't know if any of them are the right book.

It's set during a severe drought somewhere in the southern U.S., and a boy finds a small cave that contains a pool of mud, some scattered human bones, and the ghost of a slave named (if I recall correctly) Fewkes Gillespie. The bones belong to the ghost, of course, but I guess I shouldn't say any more lest I risk writing a spoiler.

Brer said...

Found it! The author is Edwin A. Peeples.