Sunday, June 2, 2013

G. K. Chesterton on The Ouija Board



"My brother and I used to play with planchette, or what the Americans
call the ouija board; but we were among the few, I imagine, who played
in a mere spirit of play. Nevertheless I would not altogether
rule out the suggestion of some that we were playing with fire;
or even with hell-fire. In the words that were written for us there
was nothing ostensibly degrading, but any amount that was deceiving.
I saw quite enough of the thing to be able to testify, with complete
certainty, that something happens which is not in the ordinary
sense natural, or produced by the normal and conscious human will.
Whether it is produced by some subconscious but still human force,
or by some powers, good, bad or indifferent, which are external
to humanity, I would not myself attempt to decide. The only thing I
will say with complete confidence, about that mystic and invisible power,
is that it tells lies. The lies may be larks or they may be lures
to the imperilled soul or they may be a thousand other things;
but whatever they are, they are not truths about the other world;
or for that matter about this world."

--from The Autobiography of G. K. Chesterton.

1 comment:

teresa katherine said...

Yes, thank you G.K.. Godspeed...